Brace for impact. Project AWARE is powering ocean heroes into action.
We received an overwhelming number of applications for our first ever Ocean Action Project.
Five winners were officially announced on 5th September after supporters and the public were given the opportunity to vote for their favourite projects via facebook.
Over 5,500 people voted for the project they believed should be put into motion, from shark and manta ray protection to cleaning up the ocean from the growing onslaught of trash.
The winning projects receive funding and support from Project AWARE to make their conservation projects a reality. The Ocean Action Projects are:
1. Semporna Shark Sanctuary, Malaysia: Scuba Junkies
2. Project Momentum: Working with local fishing communities to help protect Indonesian Manta Rays, Tigers and Bull Sharks, Indonesia: Gili Eco Trust and Aquatic Alliance
3. Koh Tao Debris Master Plan, Thailand: Save Koh Tao Group
4. Marine Debris Action Teams Create Plastic-Free Sea Turtle Habitat,Costa Rica: Dr. Chris Pincetich & PRETOMA
5. Community Based Shark Conservation Research To Guide Marine Protected Area Design, Galapagos Islands, Maximilian Hirschfeld
Thank you to everyone who voted in the Ocean Action Project. Watch the progress and keep in touch as these projects develop.