The crew from Eco Koh Tao & Crystal Dive Resort in Project Aware’s Dive Against Debris & Big Shark Shout Out
15 people joined Crystal Dive & Eco Koh Tao for Project Aware’s Big Shark Shout Out week for a shark awareness talk by IDCS Nathan Cook. The importance of sharks to the health of the oceans and life on earth was highlighted. Most importantly participants were given tools to be able to make a difference when it comes to protecting sharks…
- Passing on their knowledge of sharks and the myths that surround them.
- Donating to Project Aware at every possible opportunity.
- Uploading whale shark sightings and other endangered species sightings to databases.
- Avoid purchasing products (like shark, tuna etc) that are caught using damaging methods.
- Support the establishment of marine protected areas and the places that are trying to protect the habitat of this important species.
In the afternoon 20 divers headed towards the appropriately named Shark Bay but monsoon storms had another idea and shark bay on our east coast was out of the question. We took to the waters of nearby Sai Nuan for a dive against debris.
It was a pleasant dive and it was pleasant to see that we didn’t collect so much stuff. Lots of plastic bottles and fishing nets made up the bulk of the debris but it’s the awareness that we raised in another 20 divers that makes such a difference.
Thank you to all participants who took part and helped out to understand sharks and clean the underwater world of Koh Tao
Our Marine Conservation Partners include
Marine Conservation Koh Tao www.marineconservationkohtao.com
Save Koh Tao www.savekohtao.com
Crystal Dive www.crystaldive.com
Eco Koh Tao www.ecokohtao.com
Project Aware www.projectaware.org