In 2018, over 1,500 World Oceans Day events were organized in more than 140 inland and coastal countries, including events hosted by schools, dive businesses, fundraisers and youth groups. Project AWARE’s global community of ocean adventurers is, once again, ready to celebrate the beauty and wonders of the ocean to ensure a better future for our blue planet.
Celebrated every year since the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed June 8 as World Oceans Day in 2008, this global day of ocean celebration reminds everyone of the major role the ocean has in our everyday life and the countless benefits it gives to every single one of us. The main purpose of the day is to inform the public of the impact of human actions on the ocean, develop a worldwide movement of citizens for the ocean, and mobilize action for the conservation and sustainable use of the ocean.
For 2019, the theme, Together We Can, focuses on what we can all do together to create a healthy ocean and better future. Millions of people are expected to show their support for protecting #OurBlueLung.
Here are just a few of the many World Oceans Day events organized by Project AWARE's passionate community:
- Coral Reef Restoration and Dive Against Debris® surveys and courses, Florida Keys, USA - Coralpalooza™, Coral Restoration Foundation™
- Free Film Screening of Chasing Coral, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea – Camel Dive Club Eco Tribe
- Dive Against Debris® survey, Vietnam – Sailing Club Divers
- Art Competition, Ireland – Dive Academy Lahinch
- Dive Against Debris® survey and Film night in partnership with Surfrider foundation and the Kauai Sailing Club, US – Malama Na 'Apapa
- Beach and Underwater Clean-ups, Senegal – Nautilus
- Dive Against Debris survey and water activities, Gili Islands Indonesia – Gili Eco Trust
- Dive Against Debris survey, Pondichery India – Temple Adventures
- Ocean Cleanup, Singapore – Our Singapore Reefs, Singapore MPA, Small Change and Guardians of the S.E.A.A.
- Dive Against Debris® survey, Gili Islands – Trawangan Dive
- Week of Nature Catalonia 2019, Spain – Sin Pasaje de Vuelta